Sunday, April 17, 2011

Bread and playdough, or the Sandwich Islands

So yesterday we got messy in the kitchen. The kids made a huge fun mess with playdough, which is now on hiatus as my nerves recover. Worth it for peace on a rainy day. Dr.O' and I made waaayyyy too much bread yesterday, furthering the kitchen disaster. I worked to keep the messes separate, using a table as an island to keep the playdough off the work surfaces and out of our food. He made 3 loaves of banana bread and one loaf of sun-dried tomato basil bread, and I made 2 loaves of ciabatta bread. In addition, we had bought some marble rye because I'd really been wanting a hot ham and Swiss, and he makes a portabello sandwich on rye. For dinner we recreated our favorite sandwiches from restaurants. His is Panera's Mediterranean Veggie on tomato bread. It has hummus (which I had made on Friday), tomato, cucumber, onion, lettuce, and a jarred red pepper. Mine is from Fiddler's in South Bend, a ciabatta bread chicken sandwich with herbed cream cheese, a jarred pepper marinated in balsamic vinegar, and a bit of onion. I baked some fries and dipped them in curry sauce, and they were just like the ones at Fiddler's Hearth! A pint and my best friend would've completed the effect, but I got the food right at least! Last night I got the kitchen mess cleaned up and even mopped, warning the kids not to ask about playdough today. The happiest part of all this kitchen hoopla is that I won't have to cook until Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment