Saturday, April 2, 2011

Baked Potato Soup

This is a soup that I loved at a restaurant in the town where Dr.O' and I met, married, and had I-M.

I just realized that I had never tried to replicate it, so I decided to try today. I knew the kids wouldn't get excited about it, and Dr.O' is off meat, so I could make this comfort food exactly to my taste.

I peeled, diced, and boiled 8 medium potatoes in ham broth. I chopped and sautéed 1 small onion in olive oil, then added that to the boiling potatoes, along with 5 spears of broccoli. When these items were tender, I added some chopped ham and dried parsley. I simmered this and then seasoned it with Adobo and pepper. I used a stick blender to partially purée the soup, then added 1T of butter and 1/2c milk. I thickened the soup with some potato flakes and puréed again. In each bowl, I crushed a few crackers, ground some pepper, and grated Cabot cheddar over the soup.

Not a very specific recipe, but a perfect bowl of comfort!

1 comment: