Monday, March 14, 2011

Stupid Steenrod

We've had a severe monkey wrench thrown into our plans for next week: the school system neglected to tell us until FRIDAY that they were cancelling Spring Break, which was supposed to start today. Know what? I don't care. I'm still going to Indiana. I could've had my kids at school every one of those snow days. It's not my fault, and they can't let parents know this so late when people have to make plans! Stupid. I was already annoyed with nearly everything about this school, and it's supposed to be one of the best in the district. Now I'm just ready to be done, but I have my doubts about committing to homeschool next year. It has to be the right choice for everyone in the family.

The big issue with this cancellation is that the school has abdicated its communication responsibility and handed it over to the PTA. If parents don't read the PTA website, they have no idea what's going on. I do read the emails that link to the PTA site, and I am subscribed to their calendar. It's a wealthy attendance area overall, but there have to be some parents who don't have access to the internet all the time. I've been overwhelmed by all the paper announcements from the PTA, newsletters from the teachers, graded work, homework, and random enrichment junk they send home. They could do a much better job putting all the information into one newsletter weekly from the school itself, plus one classroom newsletter from the teacher, both of which could be accessed online as well. The PTA crap could remain on the website, but their role should be scaled back because they're just wasting paper. Homework could be put straight into the folder, in the same pocket every time, and graded work/keep at home stuff could be in a manila envelope so that we don't have to fish through all this crap to find the important information.

No comments:

Post a Comment