Friday, March 4, 2011

Lenten Facebook Detox

I finally bit the bullet and made my announcement about taking a break from Facebook yesterday. I've been meaning to do it since New Year's, but I'm glad I didn't because January and February are often hard for me, and I needed the therapeutic effect of chatting back and forth with my mom friends all over the world. I'm giving it up for Lent because I do need to give it up for a while as it has changed from being a way to keep in contact with friends and family after the move to a pretty serious distraction in my life. I chose Lent because I figured 40 days would be enough time to detox and because I'll be more motivated to keep my heart focused on prayer and preparation for Easter if Facebook is not an option. My FB account doesn't do quite what I want it to do, and I've had some problems with privacy/hacking from time to time. Also, there are Facebook friends who I'd probably be able to delete with no hard feelings, or they could delete me and it would be no big deal at all. However, pruning the list is harder than starting afresh. I'm also planning to use some of the extra time researching homeschooling and trying to decide whether it's a doable option. I plan to either do that or try to finish my MA starting in the fall. I need to do something!

No comments:

Post a Comment